The purpose of the Habersham County Library Board is to offer a full program of library services to all Habersham County residents to meet their informational, educational, cultural, and recreational needs.
Meetings are quarterly on the fourth Monday of each month following quarter close. Meetings begin at 5:30 p.m. and alternate between the Clarkesville Library and the Cornelia Library. The meetings last from 1.5 to 2 hours.
Members of the Board must be Habersham County residents. Members are appointed to three-year terms. Members are not eligible to serve more than six years, not including an unexpired term, nor can he/she be reappointed to the Board following this period until after a lapse of one year.
Library Board Duties
- Appoint Library Associate Branch Manager and other staff members as recommended by the Library Associate Branch Manager
- Approve budgets and assume responsibility for the presentation of the library’s fiscal needs to the supporting agencies
- Attend Board meetings
- Establish local policies and practices when there is no Regional Library System policy governing that area of service
- Set policies for administration of gifts of money and property as delegated by the regional board
- Present financial and progress reports to governing officials and to the public
- Notify the library system director, in advance, of all meetings of the Library Board and Board Committees