Stray Animals

Please call the Habersham County Animal Shelter at 706-839-0195 prior to bringing an animal in. To make the process easier on you, the staff, and the animals, we ask that you give prior notification so that we can make space to intake the animal as quickly as possible.

Animals MUST have been found in Habersham County. We will NOT take in ANY animals from outside of the county.  Please be advised that residents of the city limits of Baldwin will be subject to a $25.00 out of area fee if bringing strays to the shelter. Baldwin residents should call 706-776-5256 to report stray animals.

Animals may be brought in during the following hours:

  • Tuesday-Friday: 10 a.m.-12 p.m. (noon) and 1 p.m.-4 p.m. (We will NOT take in animals during non-business hours.)

Habersham County Animal Care & Control (HCACC) holds all stray animals 5 days. After the 5-day holding period, animals become property of HCACC and are available for adoption, rescue, or may be humanely euthanized. We are not able to guarantee that the animal brought in will be rehomed.

Please note that we advise all owners to properly follow all owner surrender protocols. Any owners found to be abandoning animals, or turning owner surrendered animals into the shelter or Animal Control as strays, will be issued citations and prosecuted to the fullest extent of local ordinances.  Please speak with the staff if you have any questions about the requirements listed in the owner surrender requirements.