Military Discharges

Military discharge papers (Form DD214) are important to armed services veterans who wish to apply for educational or other veterans' benefits. If the original papers are lost or destroyed, how can a veteran prove he/she served in the military? By having his/her DD214 recorded in the Clerk of Court's office.

Recording is simple, easy, and free. The veteran just needs to bring the form to the office of the Clerk of Court in the county where he/she lives. The DD214 will be stamped "Filed," a book and page number noted on it, and a copy will be recorded immediately. The original will then be handed back to the veteran.

Should a veteran need a copy or a certified copy of his/her discharge papers, all he/she has to do is request one from the Clerk's office where it was filed. There is no charge for this service.