Emergency Management Agency
The Habersham County Emergency Management program is based on the requirements of the Georgia Emergency Management Act of 1981, as amended December 1992. This law also establishes the legal protection and authority of the Emergency Management Agency to work in times of a disaster.
Emergency Management was established in the United States by the Federal Defense Act of 1950, which created our nation's Office of Civil Defense. This act is the foundation for the Emergency Management System in place today.
The Emergency Management Agency is responsible for the management of all emergency preparedness program areas within the county. The primary role of the agency is to develop and implement comprehensive disaster planning, mitigation and response activities within Habersham County under the provisions of Georgia statutes.
Additionally, the agency develops and maintains emergency plans for all types of natural, technological and man-made disasters and other emergencies that threaten the county, and provides the analysis and recommendations necessary to make decisions that will effectively save lives and protect property in such emergencies.
The agency also coordinates Emergency Management Services for the county by providing leadership, planning, education and resources to protect lives, property and the environment.
In times of emergency or disaster, Habersham EMA coordinates the response of local agencies ensuring the most appropriate resources are dispatched to the impacted area. Through its major programs, EMA works with local governments, volunteer organizations and the private sector throughout Habersham County to develop disaster preparedness plans and mitigation projects, and provide training and exercise activities.
Habersham EMA has qualified for the Federal Performance Partnership Agreement, which ensures the county federal disaster assistance and individual assistance in the event of a major disaster. In addition to being eligible for federal assistance, our personal qualifications which are based on meeting state mandated training requirements enable us to receive funding from the federal government to aid in our mitigation efforts. Habersham County is committed to taking a proactive approach to the Emergency Management efforts in our community.
It is the ongoing goal of the Habersham Emergency Management Agency to:
- Work with federal, state and local governments and the private sector to provide an efficient, coordinated response to emergencies/disasters.
- Develop and maintain an updated database of available emergency resources.
- Provide assistance to local governmental units to develop an Emergency Operations Plan designed to coordinate emergency response and recovery elements.
- Offer a uniform set of guidelines by which a local unit of government can receive accreditation for its Emergency Operations Plan.
- Promote cooperation and assistance (mutual aid) among local units of government in response to emergencies/disasters. Encourage local units of government to emphasize continued emergency management training for emergency response personnel.
- Network with and support the objectives of local Emergency Services (ESDA) programs.
- Support the principles of professional emergency management by distributing emergency preparedness, response, recovery and mitigation information to local units of government.