There are two types of special tags in Georgia ... those that commemorate organizations or universities, and
Prestige plates that contain letters and/or numbers that you make up.
Special tags can be ordered during your registration renewal period or they can be reserved in advance. Requirements, fees and samples of special tags can be found at the Georgia Department of Revenue website. CLICK HERE
While most commemorative tags are available, some are in a waiting status until a mandated minimum number are ordered.
Some organizations have pre-ordered their commemorative tags to meet the mandated minimum requirement. In those cases, be sure to contact your organization for details on obtaining tags the organization has pre-ordered.
Here are some common questions we hear:
- How do I order a new commemorative plate such as the Rotary International license plate or the Race Car Hall of Fame license plate?
- If you pre-ordered the tag, simply come to the Habersham County Tax Commissioner's office with $25 receipt and let us know you would like the new plate. If your organization has pre-ordered the tag, you will need to obtain the $25 receipt from your organization. Please contact your organization for details on obtaining the receipt. Once you secure the $25 receipt, please visit us and let us know you would like the new plate.
- If you have not pre-ordered the tag, simply come to our office now, or at the time of your vehicle registration renewal, and let us know you would like this new plate.
- I would like to apply for a plate that is not yet being produced because it has not yet reached its minimum number of orders. What do I need to do?
- Just visit our office and let us know you wish to apply for one of these proposed plates. You will be given a form to complete, and a $25 application charge will apply. NOTE: Once ordered, no changes or refunds are allowed.
- What will happen to my $25 application fee for a proposed plate if the required minimum number of applications is not received?
- Your application fee will be refunded to you if the minimum number of applications is not received by the end of the application period.
- I would like to order a prestige or vanity plate.
- If you would like to order a plate with your own combination of letters and/or numbers, simply visit our office. You will fill out a request form and we will advise you at that time if the combination you are requesting is available. A $25 manufacturing fee will be collected when the plate is ordered. You can choose to register your vehicle with the prestige plate at that time, or wait until the tag is manufactured. It is best to order a prestige plate at the time of your vehicle renewal period, as the $25 annual fee will then be applied to the full annual renewal period.
If you choose to register your vehicle now, you will be given a 90-day temporary tag to use until the State of Georgia mails you the prestige plate. If you choose to wait until the tag is manufactured before registering your vehicle with the new plate, you will be notified once the Habersham County Tax Commissioner's Office has received the plate.
- What combinations are available on prestige plates?
- Combinations of up to seven letters and/or numbers can be ordered for passenger vehicles, and combinations of up to six letters and/or numbers can be ordered for motorcycles. You may substitute a blank space for one of the letters and/or numbers.
Once the application is processed and sent to the state, the state has the authority to refuse a prestige plate application if the state considers the alpha/numeric combination inappropriate.
If you have questions about special tags, please call us at 706-839-0120 or e-mail us at email@example.com.
and scroll down to registration section for complete details about Georgia license tags.