We all know we should recycle, but how many of us actually do it? Most likely, very few. Why? There are at least three obstacles that make participation in this process difficult:
- Remembering what can be recycled
- Finding a place to store it until it can be taken to a recycling center
- Knowing where and when to take it
The information on this page addresses problems 1 and 3. Unfortunately, the solution to problem 2 is different for each household and must be addressed by the residents of each dwelling themselves. You might want to search the internet for suggestions on storing and managing recyclables.
What can be Recycled?
Much more than we might think! However, Habersham County's recycling centers accepts the following types of items:
- Glass: Clear, Green, Brown
- Aluminum cans
- Metal (only at the Landfill)
- No. 1 or No. 2 plastic bottles/jugs (look on the bottle or jug for the number inside the recycling triangle)
- Paper products, such as: newspapers, some types of computer paper, magazines, books, shredded paper, cardboard
- Electronics, anything that plugs-in or takes a battery, such as: computers, cell phones, audio/video equipment, microwave ovens
What about other objects -- for example, electronic equipment, car batteries and tires, used oil, printer toner cartridges, and plastic bags? Check local and national retailers (auto parts stores, grocery stores, tire shops, and websites of manufacturers) to see what, if anything, they accept for recycling (some may charge a fee). An online search of this subject may also help you find additional information. Look at the following also (clicking on these links will take you to third-party web sites):
Kennesaw State University
Georgia Department of Natural Resources, Pollution Prevention Assistance Division
Where and When to Take Recyclables
Currently there are three county-operated recycling centers, one in Mt. Airy,The Cornelia/Habersham Recycling Center and one in Clarkesville.
4900 Dicks Hill Parkway, Mt. Airy
706-778-0926 or 706-776-9258
Monday-Friday: 6 a.m. until 4:30 p.m.; Saturday: 6 a.m. until noon
Recycling Center at Road Department
4218 Toccoa Highway, Clarkesville
706-754-2217 or 706-754-3859
Thursday, Friday, Saturday: 8 a.m. until 4:30 p.m.
Cornelia/Habersham Recycling Center
507 Nicolon Dr., Cornelia
Thursday, Friday 10 a.m. until 6:00 p.m
Saturday 8 a.m. until to 5:00 PM