- Board established: The Board of Commissioners hereby establish the Habersham County Parks and Recreation Board.
- Duties: The duties of the Board shall be advisory in nature and shall include responsibilities such as:
- To advise in the initiation, planning, organization, implementation, and coordination of public recreation programs and activities for the county.
- To advise the initiation, planning and design and to recommend a system of parks, facilities, etc., that will accommodate the public’s need for parks and recreation activities.
- To assist with the preparation and development of rules and regulations by which parks and recreation programs may operate.
- To monitor and evaluate the effectiveness of park and recreation programs.
- To advise and recommend ways and means by which parks and recreation programs may be improved or strengthened.
- To support new programs and activities as public need may dictate.
- To recommend a system or fees and charges for use of parks and recreation facilities or for participation in parks and recreation programs.
To perform other duties and responsibilities as may be conferred by the Board of Commissioners from time to time.
- Powers: In order to perform the foregoing duties the Board shall have the following authority:
- To adopt bylaws and other rules of procedure to achieve its purposes and functions.
- To recommend rules governing participation in parks and recreation programs.
- To suggest rules governing the hours of operation and use of county parks and facilities.
- To endorse county staff approval of contracts for the provision of certain programs and services related to recreation facilities and activities which are awarded within guidelines established by the Board of Commissioners.
- To adjudicate complaints, disputes or other grievances from the public arising out of parks and recreation activities.
- To evaluate programs and activities which are offered from year to year.
- To file an annual report with the Board of Commissioners relative to program accomplishments for the preceding fiscal year.
- Membership: The Board shall be representative of the community and shall consist of five (5) members who shall be residents of the County and who shall serve without compensation.
- Terms of office of members: The terms of office of the members of the Board shall be for three (3) years. Members whose terms have expired shall continue to serve as members until their successors have been appointed.
- Election of officers: The Commission shall elect from its membership a chairperson and other officers as may be desired. Officers shall be elected on a calendar year basis and may be reelected for succeeding terms.
- Meetings: Board meetings shall be on a monthly basis unless when determined otherwise by the Board. The Chairperson of the Board or, in his absence, the Vice-Chair, may call a special meeting of the Board at any time by giving each member 24 hour notice. Special meetings will be scheduled upon request by four or more members. A quorum of the Board shall be in attendance before action of an official nature can be taken. A quorum is at least one (1) more than the number absent, of the appointed members.
- Attendance of members: An appointed member who misses more than three (3) consecutive meetings loses his status as a member of the Board until reappointed or replaced by the Board of Commissioners. Absences due to sickness, death or other emergencies of like nature shall be regarded as approved absences and shall not affect the member’s status on the Board except that in the event of a long illness, or other such cause for prolonged absence, the member may be replaced.
- Severability: If any part of this Ordinance is for any reason held to be void or invalid, the validity of the remaining parts of this Ordinance or its application to other persons or set of circumstances shall not be affected thereby.
- Repealer: All previous Ordinances, policies or resolutions in conflict with this Ordinance are hereby repealed.