North Georgia Technical College
In 1943, the State Board of Education realized the need for adequate trade training and vocational opportunities and approved a plan for a system of state trade schools. The North Georgia Trade and Vocational School at Clarkesville was the first school officially established under this plan. The Habersham County Board of Education deeded some 300 acres of land to the state to establish the school at Clarkesville.
Enrollment of the first classes at North Georgia Trade and Vocational School began February 1, 1944. The first programs of training were Automotive Mechanics (body and fender work was included in this program), Radio and Communications, Machine Shop, Welding and Sheet Metal, Cooking and Baking, Woodworking, Upholstery (for blind students), and Laundry and Dry Cleaning. Many programs were added over the next few years including Commercial Photography in 1946, Masonry in 1948, Business Education in 1954, Cosmetology in 1955, and in 1957 Licensed Practical Nursing began. In 1959, a new program began in Medical Laboratory Assistant -- the first such program in the United States to be established in a vocational school. The Horticulture program began in 1967.
The school became known as North Georgia Technical Institute in 1987 to better portray its role as a postsecondary institution beyond the secondary school level. NGT was designated by the State Board as the fiscal agent for adult literacy to implement and coordinate basic education and GED preparation for the service areas in 1989.
Classes began at the satellite campus in Blairsville in 1998, and the Culinary Arts program was introduced with much success. In July 2000, House Bill 1187 was made into law and paved the way for Georgia’s technical institutes to become technical colleges. North Georgia Technical Institute became North Georgia Technical College in October 2000. Approval was given for a new satellite campus in Stephens County (the Currahee Campus) in 2001.
The Clarkesville Campus is located in a mountain setting off Georgia Highway 197 a mile and a half north of Clarkesville, the county seat of Habersham County. It is situated on 330 acres with the campus covering approximately 35 acres.
Satellite campuses opened in September 1998 in Blairsville and July 2005 in Stephens County (Currahee Campus) in July 2005.
Visit the North Georgia Technical College website for more information.