Historical Markers in Habersham County
Except on interstate highways, it is difficult to drive on Georgia streets and highways for any length of time without seeing one or more historical markers. Including the 12 markers in Habersham County, almost 2,600 of these icons of local history cover the state, a total only exceeded by Texas (11,000 ) and New York (2,800). Two Habersham County markers are reported as missing.
Since the 1970s, David Seibert of Sandy Springs has pursued a goal of locating and personally visiting every historical marker in Georgia. To do so, he had to decide what constitutes a "historical marker." Essentially, his working definition is that a historical marker is a device of metal (usually brass or aluminum) that has cast lettering (rather than an inscription painted on a sign), and, with a few exceptions, is mounted on a freestanding post. Almost always, the marker shows the same wording on both sides, though in a few cases each side will contain different information.
The first organized effort to erect a series of historical markers in Georgia was funded by the U.S. Works Progress Administration, a New Deal program to create jobs during the Depression. A variety of markers were installed around the state, though most of these no longer stand.
In 1951, the Georgia General Assembly created the Georgia Historical Commission with responsibility ... "to promote and increase knowledge and understanding of the history of this State from the earliest times to the present, including the archaeological, Indian, Spanish, Colonial and American eras by adopting and executing general plans, methods and policies for permanently preserving and marking objects, sites, areas, structures and ruins of historic or legendary significance, such as trials, post-roads, highways or railroads, inns or taverns; rivers, inlets, mill-ponds, bridges, plantations, harbors or wharves; mountains, valleys, coves, swamps, forests or everglades; churches, missions, campgrounds and places of worship, schools, colleges and universities; courthouses and seats."The following markers have been identified and located in Habersham County:
This marker is located adjacent to the Habersham County Courthouse in Clarkesville and reads:
This marker is located on Main Street (US 23, US 441) in Cornelia.
INDIAN WAR TRAIL
This was the summer home of Joseph Habersham of Savannah (1751-1815), Georgia patriot, Revolutionary War hero, and political leader. He was a Colonel in the Continental Army, a member of Continental Congress, and of the Georgia Convention that ratified the Constitution in 1788. Educated at Princeton, he returned to Georgia to aid in organizing the "Liberty Boys" as the Revolution approached. With other patriots, he organized the Council of Safety at Tondee's Tavern, June 22, 1775. On January 17, 1776, leading a small group, he captured and placed under guard Sir James Wright, British Colonial Governor. With Captain Bowen, he commanded the first commissioned vessel of the Revolution. Twice Speaker of the General Assembly, in Georgia's first legislative body, in 1785, Joseph Habersham signed the first charter granted to a state university in America -- that of the University of Georgia. He served as Postmaster General under Presidents Washington, Adams and Jefferson. From 1802 until his death he was president of the Georgia branch of the Bank of the United States. Habersham County, created December 19, 1818, was named for Joseph Habersham. Click here for more information on Georgia historic markers
»» Carl Vinson Institute of Government Website.
Much of the information for this section of our website was provided by the Carl Vinson Institute of Government, University of Georgia, and excerpts and photos have been reprinted from the CVIG website with permission.